Transitional Kindergarten Overview
In 2010, the California legislature passed the "The Kindergarten Readiness Act" (SB1381) which amended California Education Code (EC) (Section 46300, 48000 and 48010) to change the required birthday for admission to kindergarten and first grade and established a Transitional Kindergarten Program beginning in the 2012-2013 school year. The intent of "The Kindergarten Readiness Act" is to ensure that children have the early experiences they need to help them succeed in school.
In 2021, legislation was passed that requires any local education agency (LEA) operating a kindergarten to also provide a Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program for all four-year-old children by 2025–26. TK uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate and based on California's Preschool Learning Foundations and Frameworks.
For the 2024-25 school year, Los Gatos Union School District offers TK at Blossom Hill and Lexington Elementary Schools.
The TK program provides the following advantages:
- California state standards taught in a transdisciplinary way
- Student-centered approach to learning where student agency is taught and valued
- Inquiry based, differentiated instruction to meet a child’s developmental and academic needs
- A curriculum that encourages the development of flexible thinking and prepares students to evaluate information critically
- The opportunity for students to explore their environment and learn about their world through play and relationships
- TK hubs that provide opportunities for children to build friendships and relationships with peers, and provide a safe, age-appropriate environment for our youngest learners
Lexington school also offers the International Baccalaureate Program.
Children residing in the Los Gatos Union School District attendance boundaries who will turn 5 years old between September 2nd, 2024 and June 2nd, 2025 will be eligible to attend TK beginning on August 15, 2024.
Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten registration packets for the 2024-25 school year are available online. Proof of age (birth record/certificate, passport, baptism certificate OR affidavit of the parent, guardian, or custodian of the minor), proof of residency, and immunization records will be required to register. Only students with completed registration, as outlined in the enrollment checklist, will be enrolled.
For more information visit the Registration Page.
Please note that should demand exceed capacity at either site, a lottery will take place to determine school placement. Registration must be completed by February 29th to take part in the lottery (if needed). After February 29th, students will be placed based on site availability.
For further information about TK or kindergarten registration, please contact Gloria Prado, Administrative Assistant/District Registrar at 408-335-2040 or [email protected].
Kindergarten Readiness: Scholastic.com